I have two posts left in my Ireland recap which I’ll get to next week. In the meantime, I wanted to share with you all the book I read during my second week in Ireland while traveling around Cork, Galway, and Dublin.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks had come recommended via a tweet for suggestions and after reading the synopsis online I thought it sounded pretty interesting so I decided to give it a go. Written by Rebecca Skloot, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a really great read; I finished it before arriving back home in Toronto and often found myself reading it late at night in my room and on the many bus rides I took over the course of the week (three to be exact). It raises questions on scientific ethics and race and totally made me think about stem cell research, among other things, in a whole new light.

Have any of you read it? If so, what did you think? If you’re looking for a good read I strongly recommend it.

Tags: ,

Related Article

6 Comments

LIVELETLIVE January 21, 2019 at 10:04

I’ve read it! It was assigned reading for my English 1102 class. I really liked it! The writing style was great and the subject very interesting and thought provoking. I would have never picked it up if it wasn’t for that class.

ONEIKA THE TRAVELLER January 22, 2019 at 12:49

I read it but didn’t like it. The story was interesting, of course, but I didn’t connect with the writer at all. I had to read it for a book club and struggled all the way through until the end!

BRANDY BROWNER January 23, 2019 at 03:37

I have not read this book. I do not have a problem with stem cell research but I think the family should have been paid.

Your new layout is sooo cool!

CHINYE January 23, 2019 at 12:24

I haven’t read the book, but have heard a lot about it from a friend who lives in Baltimore. I’m all for investing into research that can save people’s lives, however I think it’s wrong for scientists to be deceitful.

SUE @ SIMONSSISTASAW January 24, 2019 at 16:43

It’s a standout, isn’t it? I loved that there was the personal story to go along with the science. Really glad you liked it.

RHONA January 25, 2019 at 13:15

Thank you for the recommendation. I am part of a bookclub and I am next to host so I assigned this book. I am very excited to read it.