…but in a few weeks they’ll be custom shirts for yours truly. These are some of the fabrics I purchased last weekend to get made into shirts like this and this. I’m trying to step outside my box and pick prints and colours – something I normally wouldn’t do – but in a country like this in a city like this where the fabric stores are piled high with the most beautiful colours and uncommon prints…you try to take a little walk on the wild side. I can’t tell you how much I’m in love with these fabrics – particularly the last one pictured (which is navy blue and white not black and white). I really splurged on it but the print is fantastic and it’s 100% silk and feels like buttah on my skin. Seriously. Not pictured is a lovely cream fabric with small red-y, maroon-y dots that I’ve already dropped off at the tailor. Fingers crossed it turns out as I imagine so that I can drop these off to be transformed too.

I literally keep thinking about my shirts and can’t wait to see how they turn out. Who knew there was so much to consider when getting shirts made – I’m thinking about what type of collar I want on each, the arm length, and what kinds of buttons to add. I can tell you the last fabric picture will have a mandarin style collar, shoulder lapels, wrist length sleeves, and gold buttons – oooooooh I. Can’t. Wait. (I know that sounds like “a lot” but I saw a girl wearing the shirt as I just described it in the same fabric (she was in the store getting more of the fabric) and trust me – it looked fantastic.) I also spend a fair amount of time scouring the ‘net (and pinterest) for pictures of things that I want to get made while I’m here. My little folder of inspiration is growing larger and larger……..

Have you ever had clothes custom made? Me thinks it can become quite addicting and when I go home I’ll sorely miss having an affordable tailor!

Tags: , ,

Related Article

12 Comments

kkp February 14, 2019 at 01:05

left you two comments on my post about my teeth. i also wanted to say, pick up a cheap sewing machine and start stitching things yourself when you get back home- not only is it fun, it’s a lot easier than you’d think!

Anonymous February 14, 2019 at 05:09

love the fabrics and the shirts you picked!
mylee

Flora February 14, 2019 at 22:52

I love getting clothes made when I go to Vietnam. I take my favorite pieces and have them copied. I’m headed to India next month and maybe I’ll get some clothes made now that I’ve seen this post!

Jaime @ La vie…J'aime February 15, 2019 at 10:55

they are so unique and gorgeous! i esp love the first one…hope you’ll share the finished products!

LindsB February 15, 2019 at 22:59

Seriously those fabrics are so hot and your new shirts are going to be beautiful- I am kinda jealous!! I need to get back to Sri Lanka asap so I can have some clothes made too 🙂

SP February 16, 2019 at 06:18

I love your fabrics! When I was in India I had both Indian and western style clothes tailor made. I have to say I was very disappointed in the fit. Even though they took my measurements in the store, the outfits were entirely too tight across my (large) chest and (not-so-large) arms. I hope your tailor is wonderful and you get your beautiful silk shirts!

Chinye February 16, 2019 at 07:44

I love the yellow fabric with the small hearts…i think it’ll be a beautiful shirt! I second the sewing machine comment.

liveletlive February 16, 2019 at 11:37

love the first one!!

Sunny February 17, 2019 at 02:44

Wow, those fabrics are amazing!!! And how cool are you for being able to have them customed???!!! I can’t wait to see the final product.

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures February 18, 2019 at 21:14

The last is my fave! How exciting!!! I can’t wait to see the finished products.

AOS February 19, 2019 at 06:47

Love the fabric selections. How long does it take to get a shirt tailored? I would love to have some custom piece if time permits.

Designwali February 20, 2019 at 11:24

nothing beats the tailors in india! so tough to find a good one here!